Quinoa Burgers with Sweet Potato Fries and Apple Cider Onions
Not a fan or tired of the traditional burger? Try this easy quinoa burger recipe. Not only is it super tasty, but it packs quite the nutritional punch. The quinoa along with the beans and greens contain a ton of fiber as well as vitamins and minerals! Give this burger a try, you'll be happy you did!
1 cup cooked quinoa
1/2 cup cannellini beans, mashed
1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
1 large egg lightly beaten, discard half
2 burger buns
2 cups spinach, rinsed and cut into large pieces
1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 burger buns
1 large sweet potato, cut into 1.5cm-wide fries
2 tablespoons olive oil
1tsp smoked paprika
Apple Cider Onions:
1 tablespoon butter
1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cup apple cider
1. In a large bowl combine the quinoa, mashed beans, panko, egg, salt and pepper. Mix well to moisten the ingredient, then add the shredded cheddar cheese. Mix again and form into 2 equal patties. Place on a plate and put in the fridge.
2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place the sweet potatoes in a large bowl and drizzle with oil, smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Gently toss to evenly coat, then spread the potatoes on a baking sheet in one layer. Bake for 15 minutes, then flip and bake until crispy, 15-20 minutes more.
3. While the sweet potatoes cook, heat the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook about 15 minutes, stirring frequently, until softened. Lower the heat to medium-low, and pour 1/2 the apple cider into the skillet; let it cook into the onions, then add more apple cider until the onions are caramelized and the liquid’s absorbed. Remove from the skillet and keep warm.
4. Add the spinach, 1 tsp. olive oil and 2 tsp. water to the skillet over medium heat; stir until the spinach wilts, 1 minute. Set the spinach aside.
5. In the same skillet, heat 1 tbsp. olive oil over medium-high heat. Remove the quinoa patties from the fridge and cook until golden and crisp, about 5 minutes per side.
6. Assemble the burgers by placing cider onions on the bun bottoms. Top with the quinoa patties more onions, sweet potato fries, wilted spinach and Chili OKAZU. Close with top buns.