Asazuke: Japanese Quick Pickle Salad
Here is our recipe for a simple and refreshing quick pickle salad featuring nappa cabbage and smashed cucumbers. It's a terrific dish to prepare once every week or two and keep in the fridge to pull out as a ready to go side for all kinds of meals.
- ½ head nappa cabbage
- 2 small cucumbers
- 1 small to medium sized carrot, julienned
- 1” ginger, julienned
- 2-3 tsp salt
- 2-3 tsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp dashi
- 10-20 ml rice vinegar
- 1 fresh red chili pepper, finely diced
- Cut greens of nappa cabbage into 2”-3” pieces, and cut white parts into 1” pieces. Wash nappa well.
- Smash cucumbers on a cutting board with a rolling pin or wine bottle and break or cut into 1” pieces.
- Put all ingredients in a ziploc bag, seal it, toss and massage to coat completely. Refrigerate overnight.